Monday, August 25, 2008

The First Day of Kindergarten

My youngest daughter, Charley, started Kindergarten this week. I thought it would be easy since it’s the second time around, but all the butterflies were there again just like they were three years ago. We did all the things discussed in the Change Is Strangee “The First Day of School” book. We visited the school, had play dates with future classmates over the summer, went shopping for school supplies the weekend before school started, and read the Change Is Strange book over and over. She understood where the bathrooms were in relation to her classroom and that Mommy or Daddy would be waiting for her everyday when school let out.
Charley was excited about Kindergarten all summer. When her older sister said she was nervous about starting third grade, Charley chimed in “I’m not nervous at all, I can’t wait for Kindergarten”. She feigned confidence and enthusiasm all the way up until the teacher asked them to form a line before entering the classroom…and then, out of nowhere came the face. The face that said, “are you really leaving me with these strangers? Can’t I just go home with you?” She didn’t actually say any of these things but the look in her eyes said it all. I had to stop myself from welling up and saying “of course you can come home with me! Forget this school stuff”. Instead, I held it together, told her she was going to be great and walked away.
Today was her 4th full day of school. She kissed me with a big smile on her face and ran into line ready to face the day. She looked as if she’d been doing this for years!
So, we did it. We made it through another First Day of Kindergarten and I would say we did it rather successfully!

Labels: , , ,

[More Info]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home